More X-mas Bookmarks – Shibori Dyed & Image Transfer

Both of the base fabrics here were dyed using shibori techniques., ie. a resist is used in various ways which keeps the dye from penetrating the entire fabric surface, creating patterns. The berries on the second bookmark are image transfers from Before the First Touch, a pen and ink illustration I did toward the end of my residency at the Bonfills studios.

Here the fabric was folded and wrapped on a small pvc pole with string. The string (must be poly or acrylic) resists the dye, leaving the white lines. Dyed organza was wrapped around the bookmark and stitched.
shibori dyed bookmark with image transfer
Shibori dyed cotton.

The Most Custom Bookmarks in the History of, Like, Ever.

I didn’t have much to post in December, but I was in fact busy making Christmas presents. I took a surface design class at the Art Institute in the spring, coincidentally taught by my boyfriend’s mother, Besty Knabe Roe. So I had all these fabric samples and no idea what to do with them. So I found something to do. Pretty much the only thing I didn’t do was weave the fabrics themselves, and if¬† it’s a felt bookmark, then I did make the fabric. I’ll post these a few at a time. Probably too time-consuming to sell commercially, but they were fun exercises. They are humble bookmarks, but I belive the family enjoyed.

hand dyed felt, silk & rayon with metallic stitching
shibori dyed (clamp resist) rayonresist dyed cotton (gathered stitching), hand dyed felt & organza
resist dyed cotton (gathered stitching), hand dyed flet & organza

Fabric Sample #1 from Surface Design class at KC Art Institute

dying technique of Japanese shibori on rayon

______________________________________________________________________________

Some of you may or may not know, I am taking a 6-wk surface design course at the Art Institute. The class focuses on dying techniques for cellulose fibers, which opens up new techniques and processes for me as thus far, I’ve only dyed protein fibers (i.e. wool). The sample here was my first attempt at a certain type of Japanese shibori using a nylon rope to resist the dye. The result was not what I was going for, but I still like the landscape effect it produced. Sometimes, you just don’t know what you’re going to get. Fun stuff! I’ll be posting more samples…