Bub Vase

This is a walnut vase I turned on my Delta Midi Lathe and carved channels into with the idea to inlay a mixture of crushed glass and resin. However, I did a test of the inlay and a person who I trust for their candid opinion said that it looked like someone threw up glass, so that idea got put on hold . So it sat on a shelf for several years just waiting to be finished. So here comes the felt! This is a functional vase with a glass test tube insert.

Bub Vase - turned walnut w/ mohair & shetland wool

The wool is a mix of mohair and shetland. The nubs were initially needled felted to strips of cotton, which were then affixed to the carved channels. Then additional needle felting took place, carefully working to get symmetry.

New Work – Translation: I will never understand.

Hand-dyed and needle-felted Shetland wool. 10’L x 12″H x 1.75″D  This piece covers an entire wall, so sizeable length makes it difficult to show online. Thus, the detail shot and I will put a higher resolution shot on the website. Individual “letters” are three-dimensional felted objects, each pinned to the wall. Each shade of blue was dyed separately and color gradations were carefully created in the needle felting process.

The “letters” do not have direct meanings or pronunciations, though the phrasing was carefully chosen through extensive writing /sketching. Though I am usually Google Image-happy, I purposefully avoided researching languages, as I wanted to let the shapes be influenced only by my  pre-existing references, subconscious or otherwise. Frankly, I’m not certain why that was so important, but it was. I guess a thought would be that I should make another after taking a look at world languages and see how the additional visual references get assimilated.

See website for larger image.

Translation: I will never understand.
Translation: I will never understand.

Translation Detail

Detail of Translation: I will never understand.

Fabric Sample #1 from Surface Design class at KC Art Institute

dying technique of Japanese shibori on rayon

______________________________________________________________________________

Some of you may or may not know, I am taking a 6-wk surface design course at the Art Institute. The class focuses on dying techniques for cellulose fibers, which opens up new techniques and processes for me as thus far, I’ve only dyed protein fibers (i.e. wool). The sample here was my first attempt at a certain type of Japanese shibori using a nylon rope to resist the dye. The result was not what I was going for, but I still like the landscape effect it produced. Sometimes, you just don’t know what you’re going to get. Fun stuff! I’ll be posting more samples…

Drawing in Progress – “Pause after Pause”

Pause after Pause - layer 2___________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a drawing I work on for 10 or 15 minutes every morning before work. Once completed, the two pieces of paper will be side by side to fom one longer piece. This the seond color layer almost finished, with the bottom two “commas” on the left hand side to be completed.  Several layers more layers will be added. The finished drawing will be 7″h x 23″W.

Work in Progress – Berry Pods on Branch

felt balls!
that's a lot of felt balls

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Step 1: Spend way too much time making felt balls. — Oddly enough, it’s a soothing exercise. When I was too tired to do anything, let alone think, I could still make felt balls (which involves a very sharp instrument, so don’t discount it completely).

berries in their pods

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Step 2: Make pod shells   – sadly, I have a disgraceful camera, so these are more dark reddish purple than what you see here.

Step 3: Sew felt balls into pods.

Step 4: Realize it needs something more.

Step 5 (WILL BE) to create an approx. 5′ abstracted branch form from cherry ply, so the composition you see here will not be the final layout. It will be much more stretched out. Or so I think…
_________________________________________________________________________