I posted the first step in this piece, so here is the before and after what that same threaded section looks like now, filled in.
I had planned on making the stitching really thick, so you couldn’t see any of the black underneath, but then I got to like the little bits of black peeking through. The tape is protecting the edges from getting scratched by the needle. And below, while there is still much work to do, you can see where I’m headed, with the hanging strings (each has a bead on the end).
It is a slow process tying each bead on, and everything likes to tangle! I’ve actually done more work since I took this picture, and the finished result will be posted within a week, I think.